Packing list for Fjord ski and snowshoe
Norwegian summers are famous for the variety of weather. From hot to cold, from sun to rain and even snow (depending on how high up in the mountains you are), from a breeze to a storm. Be prepared for all of this, especially when hiking or paddling. If you have not planned on extensive hiking or kayaking we still advise you to bring enough WARM clothes (so that you can layer), a water-/windproof jacket, hat (that covers the ears), umbrella, and good shoes to walk in (preferably waterproof).
In Norway, they have a saying:
‘There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing’. Here you will read what to do. Pack smart!
Fjord Norway has a varied climate in winter depending on if you are at the Coast or more in the Fjords and higher up, and which month you travel. There can be temperatures from -15 °C to +5 °C.
Norwegians prefer woolen clothing above everything else (also because there are many comfortable items to buy here) rather than technical underwear because of the fact that wool isolates even when wet, and it doesn’t smell so much.
It is a good idea to have several layers of clothes, with the woolen layer as close to your skin as possible. With several layers, it makes it easier to regulate your temperature if it’s warm or cold.
What we advise to bring:
- Woolen (or thermo) underwear (long johns)
- Woolen (or thermo) jersey (shirt with long sleeves)
- Woolen socks (thick ones), at least 2 pairs
- Thick fleece jacket or woolen sweater
- Thin sweater
- If you have: a thin down jacket (to have under your windproof jacket)
- Wind and waterproof trousers and jacket (ski pants and jacket if waterproof)
- Gloves/mittens (mittens will keep your hands warmer) preferably wind and waterproof, preferably 2 pairs
- Woolen hat (that covers the ears)
- Buff or collar (to protect your neck or to cover your face)
- Day backpack (big enough for food, drinks, spare clothing), including straps to attach your skies/snowshoes
- Thermo bottle (preferably steel so it cannot break)
- Big lunch box
- Sun cream (high factor)
- Torch or headlight (if you have)
- Sportstape, blister plasters
- Toiletries and towel
- Photo camera
- Avalanche equipment (beacon, shovel, probe. also for rent, contact us)
- (warm) slippers for inside the cabin
In the case of ski touring:
- Touring Skies
- Skitouring boots
In the case of snowshoeing:
- Waterproof hiking shoes/boots
- Gaiters (if your trousers might not cover your boots/shoes totally)
Interesting facts about wool