5 day Island hopping Norway
Price on request
all group sizes
june - september
Island hopping highlights
You will start and end your vacation UNESCO World Heritage Listed city of Bergen. Travel north to picturesque fishermen villages and go island-hopping with a traditional post boat to taste the traditions, discover nature, and learn our customs. Go kayaking, hiking, and cycling along the coast and let a guide take you around rural Norway.
With our planning and detailed roadbook, you can travel safely and without any practical concerns. You will get all the insider tips and we will make sure to include our favorite hidden gems.
What to expect
- Travel like the locals, by boat. On this trip, you won’t be spending hours in the car. Instead, you will be enjoying the ocean breeze while traveling by different boats and ferries.
- By using only public transport like the ferries, you will be traveling sustainably around Norway.
- Go on private guided activities with our experienced guides. These tours are unique, and you will not find them anywhere else in Norway!
- With our planning and detailed roadbook, you can travel safely and without any practical concerns. You will get all the insider tips and we will make sure to our own favorite hikes and activities.
The price includes VAT according to the 2019 regulations. If the Norwegian Government decides to change the VAT regime, the price might increase.
On all our tours our terms & conditions apply.
Included & excluded
- 4 nights accommodation in double rooms in small scale hotels
- Private guided activities as described in the day program
- Tickets for ferries and other public transport
- Telephone assistance 7 days a week for urgent matters while traveling in Norway
- Detailed trip itinerary description with must-do/see suggestions, routes, and vouchers
- All services provided by Norway Adventures and our suppliers will be in English
- The transaction fee for using the online, secure, payment platform
- All items not specifically mentioned under ’included in the price’
- International nor domestic flights
- Airport transfers
- Entrance fees, activities, museums, etc., if not specified under ‘included in the price’
- Optional activities if not specified under ‘included in the price’, like bike rental.
- Most meals unless stated otherwise
- Insurance (we advise all our guests to buy travel insurance)
- Personal expenses
- Visa fees (if applicable)
- Other options and extensions
Day to Day
Day 1: Travelling like the locals with the postman and his boat
Leave Bergen with the morning express boat Northbound, appr. 2 hours. Take the (corresponding) local bus, that will take you to the harbor. Join the local postman and hop on board his boat along the small islands of the Atlantic Coast. This really is traveling like and with the locals. You will love the stories the postman has to tell.
Midday you will have a break where you can eat lunch at the local cafe do a short hike, or rent bicycles and explore the area this way. The postman will take you back to the village.
Tonight you stay at a quiet hotel in a one-room apartment with a view.
Day 2: Northbound with the Express boat to ‘Little Lofoten’
Enjoy a quiet morning and do a 2-3 hour hike to a viewpoint overlooking the islands and the ocean, and the village. If you want, you can also rent bicycles and explore the area.
Take the bus back to the pier and continue by express boat northbound (appr. 2 hours). Your hosts will pick you up at the pier. This amazing area is often called Little Lofoten, with fishermen culture, sea cliffs, white sandy beaches, and crystal-clear water.
Stay in a twin room with a view for 3 nights, in a picturesque fishermen’s village. The wooden hotel by the harbor is very charming and the seafood they serve is amazing. Just sitting on the terrace, breathing in the fresh air will be a treat.
Are you ready to let us show you authentic Norway, off the beaten track? We are the only tour operator that offers tours in this region, making your adventure completely unique!
Day 3: Explore the area by kayak and dive into the fishermen culture
After a good night’s’ sleep and breakfast, one of our guides will take you on a private guided kayak tour in between the small islands, including a simple outdoor lunch. We can choose easily protected paddling or go out in the open water. The area has great nature, many big and small islands, steep cliffs and some exotic white beaches. This makes it an ideal place to experience the magnificent rough coast of Norway. If you are lucky, you will spot local wildlife like sea eagles and seals.
We have also included a private walking tour around the village (approx. 1 hr) where you will learn everything about the glorious time of the herring fishery. You will love this local history.
Day 4: Meet the locals and visit our historic farm
One of our guides will pick you up by car for a private guided day excursion (in total appr. 7 hours). We will decide on the final program when you are here and know the weather forecast. But regardless of the weather, there are many things to do. Just a few options are:
Drive around the island to the white sandy beach of Grotle. You will think that you are in the Caribbean, only the water is a little colder. If you have Viking blood in your veins, you might be tempted to dive in.
Continue to our sheep farm from 1865. You are welcome for a cup of coffee, and we will show you around. Our Norwegian Elkhound Kira is always up for a cuddle. Our sheep, a traditional Norwegian breed, will be happy to come and greet you as well. We can also visit an old pasture or do a short hike with a fjord view.
At the end of the day, the guide will drive you back to your hotel.
Day 5: Journey back to Bergen
Take the early morning express boat back to Bergen (in total appr. 4,5 hrs) and arrive in Bergen around noon.
We can give you many suggestions to have a wonderful stay in Bergen later.
Have a look at what other Norway Adventurers have to say about their experience in Norway. Go to our Review page in order to read more.